It is an easy recipe which can be made very quickly. It also tastes good. We can have this with rice or pulka. I learnt this from mu aunt who is an excellant cook.
1 cup toor dal
2 big onion(if you prefer small onion and have got the patience to peel the skin for atleast 15 numbers you can go ahead)
6 big juicy tomatos(mostly use the country tomatos to get the tangy taste)
Haldi - 1 tsp
a pinch of Asafoetida/Hing
5 pods of garlic
3-5 green chillies(depends on your taste bud)
salt to taste
Mustard - 1 tsp
bengal gram dal - 1 tsp,
jeera - 1 tsp,
oil/ghee to fry,
1) Fry the onions (Optional, generally people dont fry the onions, use them directly, but i like the onions to be fried well)
2) Add all the other ingredients after you fry the onions - garlic, chilly, turmeric, hing, tomato and mix them and add the toor dal to it.
3) Add required amount of water and pressure cook them.
4) Once done take them and smash them well with a smasher until the tomatoes are well blended and simmer it on low heat in the stove. Add salt to the dal.
5) Meanwhile fry all the ingredients for seasoning and add this to the dal mixture let it cook for 2 mins and switch it of. (If you like it more tangy, then you can add a pinch of lime juice to it).
Now the Dal is ready to eat.