|Falafel with Tzatziki Dip
Ground Chickpeas mixed with spices and shallow fried and served with a nice dipping sauce makes a yummy veggie snack. It can also be served with Pita bread to make a whole meal.
|Onions finely Chopped
|Cilantro and/or Parsley
|All purpose flour***
|1 tbsp + extra for dusting
|For shallow frying
|For Tzatziki Dip:
|Cucumber Peeled & grated and water Strained
|Greek Yogurt/Thick Yogurt
1) Soak the chickpeas for a couple of hours or overnight and pressure cook until well done. Smash them into a coarse to fine paste, without any large pieces.
2) Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and add onions and garlic and sauté until the onions turn translucent.
3) Add the sautéed onions and garlic into the smashed chickpeas and add the spices, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, pepper powder and chopped cilantro/parsley.
4) Add one tbsp of all purpose flour and baking soda. Adjust salt as required. Make equal sized balls of the prepared chickpeas and shape into patties and dust it with all purpose flour
5) **** Meanwhile heat enough oil to shallow fry in a pan and shallow fry the prepared patties in the medium hot oil for couple of min's and turn sides and let it cook for a couple of more min's (2-4 min's approximately)#.
6) Serve hot with Tzatziki Dipping sauce.
7) For the Tzatziki dipping sauce, just mix all the ingredients mentioned in Tzatziki Dip.
Note: * You can replace the dry chickpeas and the cooking process with one can chickpeas.
** Adjust chili powder and pepper powder according to your taste.
*** You can use breadcrumbs and egg wash instead of all purpose flour esp. it is good when oven roasted.
**** You also oven roast instead of shallow frying. Bake at 375°F for 12-15 min's on each side and broil for 1-2 min's.
# Shallow fry timing varies on the size of the patties. Experiment with one or two and check if they are cooked well.