Yennai kathrikai curry - oil bathed stuffed brinjal curry
My dad's favorite Yennai kathrikai masala, in the memory of patti... Though different from her recipe it tasted good. Made dad happy.
Brinjal 7-8 nos
Onion medium sized finely chopped 3
Tomato finely chopped 1 no
ginger garlic paste 1 tbsp
Green chillies 2 nos
Red chilly powder 1 tsp
Coriander powder 1 tsp
Curry powder 2 tsp
Garam masala powder 1 tsp
Turmeric 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
Fennel powder 1 tsp
Black pepper powder 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Mustard seeds 1 tsp
Coriander for garnish
1) Wash and make two lengthwise cross deep incisions on the brinjal. (leave on the steams if it doesn't have thorns)
2) Mix the ingredients for stuffing with oil and make a paste of it and fill them in the brinjal.
3) In a wide fry pan add oil and fry the stuffed brinjal until they are tender.
4) Meanwhile in another pan fry the items for tempering and when they splutter add the green chillies, onion and ginger garlic paste. Then add the tomato.
5) Once they are done add the fried brinjal and mix it with the curry without breaking the brinjal.
6) Garnish and serve hot.
Note: All the powder items for stuffing can be replaced with dry items. Fry the dry items and grind them into a fresh dry powder and use them for stuffing.