|Salmon En Papillote with Indian Spices|
A complete fusion cooking, using the technique of cooking the fish in parchment paper using the traditional Indian spices which is used in the karimeen pollichathu masala. Usually a flat fish (Karimeen) is cooking using banana leaf with ground spice masala paste. I have used a similar method of cooking fish in oven tied up in paper, filled with the pollichathu masala paste.
|Salmon*||1 lb cut into two pieces|
|Shallots finely chopped||3-4 nos|
|Crushed Garlic||1 tsp|
|Crushed Ginger||1 tsp|
|Green chilies finely chopped||1-2 nos|
|Mustard Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Curry leaves||2 strands|
|Coconut milk||2 tbsp|
|Tamarind Water (Optional)||1 tbsp|
|Garam Masala Powder||1 tsp|
|Coconut Oil/Oil||1 tbsp|
|For Fish Marinade:|
|Chili Powder||1 tsp|
|Coriander Powder||1 tsp|
|Pepper Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||1 tsp|
|Lime juice||1 tbsp|
1) Cut and clean the fish and marinate the fish in the ingredients provided for marinade for 20-30 min's.
2) Preheat the oven to 375°F. Grease a baking sheet with oil and set aside.
3) Heat coconut oil in a pan and fry the mustard seeds once they splutter add the curry leaves, shallots, green chilies, crushed ginger and garlic. Sauté until the shallots turn translucent and then add the chopped tomatoes and sprinkle garam masala and sauté until the tomatoes are well cooked.
4) Add the tamarind water if you are using or just water and coconut milk and cook for 2-3 min's.
5) Cut two parchment papers to cover the fish. Place each piece of fish on the parchment papers and spread the cooked masala on the fish. Fold the paper covering the fish well. Ensure that the paper is folded well so that the steam doesn't escape.
6) Apply oil on the paper and so that it doesn't burn in the oven. Place them on the greased baking sheets and bake it in the oven for about 10-12 min's or until the paper puffs out. Check in between not to burn the oven.
7) Remove from oven and let it stand for 5 min's and then cut out the paper* and serve hot with steamed rice.
|Fish Placed on Paper||Fished folded in paper|
|Paper greased with oil and oven ready||Cooked and Out of oven|
** Be careful not while cutting the paper, since it contains hot steam inside.