|Lamb and Vegetable Stew|
South Indian style mutton stew is lamb/goat cooked along with vegetables in coconut milk. Vegetable stew and chicken stew can be prepared using the same method.
|Mutton with bone on cut into medium pieces||1.5 lbs|
|Onions finely chopped||2 nos|
|Potato cubed||1 nos|
|Carrot Chopped||1 nos|
|Celery Stalks chopped(Optional)**||1-2 nos|
|Tomatoes chopped||2 nos|
|Green Chilies||4-5 nos|
|Garlic chopped||4-5 nos|
|Ginger Garlic Paste||1 tbsp|
|Thick Coconut milk||1 cup|
|Thin Coconut milk||2 cups|
|Cinnamon *||1 inch stick|
|Cloves *||2-3 nos|
|Cardamom *||2 nos|
|Bay leaf *||1 nos|
|Black Pepper||1 tsp|
|Fennel seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Curry Leaves||1 Strand|
|Turmeric Powder||1/2 tsp|
|Fennel & Cumin Seeds Powder||1/4 tsp each|
|Dried crushed Rosemary (Optional) **||1 tsp|
|Mustard Seeds||1 tsp|
|Curry Leaves||1-2 Strands|
|Fennel Seeds||1/2 tsp|
|Pepper crushed||1/2 tsp|
|Green Chili||1 nos|
1) Clean the medium sized mutton pieces and add little salt and turmeric and set aside.
2) Heat oil in a pressure cooker or a sauce pan and add the whole garam masala*, Black Pepper, curry leaves, fennel seeds, green chilies and sauté it for few seconds.
3) Add the chopped onions and chopped garlic and sprinkle enough salt and fry until the onions caramelize. Then add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for 1-2 min's.
4) Add the chopped carrot, potatoes and celery. Sprinkle the fennel and cumin powder and add the rosemary if using it.
5) Stir in the mutton and the chopped tomatoes.
6) Add the thin coconut milk and pressure cook until 3-4 whistles or well cooked if cooking with a sauce pan. Let the pressure release completely and remove the cover.
7) Stir in the thick coconut milk to the cooked mutton stew.
8) Heat ghee in a small sauce pan and add all the ingredients for tempering and once the mustard sputter remove from heat and add it to the stew and serve with appam, rice or parotta .
Note: ** You can use celery and rosemary for a slightly different taste.
***You can leave the mutton and add more vegetables like cauliflower, beans and peas to make a vegetable stew or add chicken to make a chicken stew and need not pressure cook.